Rock of Cashel, County Tipperary, Ireland
Originally built as a fortress in the 4th or 5th century. In the late 7th century St. Patrick baptized a King of Munster here. Cashel was the seat and symbol of the overkingship of Munster and the inauguration place of its kings. In 1101 the reigning King of Cashel gave “the Rock” to the church. Of course their was much religious turmoil in Ireland for the next 700 years and “the Rock”, being the great symbol that it is, was not peaceful. In 1869 it was given into State Care as a National Monument and underwent great restoration.